Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Trip to Vishakapattinam



A Small Miscalculation that Vizag won’t have much travellers punished me ,enforcing to book a Tatkaal towards Vizag .The vizag express has to leave from the Secunderabad station by 17:00 Hrs and it kept up its words. There was an oriyan family , some tribal people in my Cube. A teenager in the oriyan family (OF) opened the lid of badaam milk bottle sheerly by bitting with his strong teeth .The cube was silent for the next 30 minutes, the amazing dentist being the reason for the silence . The father of that OF had plasters on his leg. It seems he had come to Hyderabad from Srikakkulam for removing puss from his legs. He was told by the oriyan doctors that Hyderabad had good infrastructure {oh! My god}. I got to know about the places to be seen in Orissa from him. I could note a sense of passion in his face when he was briefing amidst the pain in his leg! The oriyan family opened the Chicken Briyaani , the smell drove me out & came back after 20 minutes when bones were interspersed here & there. The father of that OF gave me a giggling welcome smile and asked me if I can sleep in MB ,letting his wife sleep in LB that was allotted to me. I beautifully narrated a story stating how I got slipped from bathroom , bcoz of which I won’t be able to climb even MB..This was the third time in my life time, that I had lied …There is a reason behind that one but ofcourse not so Noble. The next morning he kindly reminded me to taste food in Daspal Hotel in the jagadambha Center . He had his last word “ Tum Akelle aaya ? “. As ususal , I wore a Smiley Mask outside ….

Upon reaching the platform , something flashed my eyes. It was Trichy –Howrah express that was gasping in Platform No 2 after running for 1500 Kms from Trichy .The Train seemed no more a mere train ,but a Co-Trichyian ……As expected , Rikshaw Waalaas and Auto waalaas came for receiving me in Railway Station – the Universal kith and Kins for any type of Indian traveller…The Old age Rickshaws lured my eyes and in seconds I nodded my head to gear up for an exciting Rickshaw Trip. Although the technology has paced ahead with supersonic cars , the pleasure of travelling like a snail with rickshaws & bullock carts stands ahead of all the other advents. While I was adviced to stay in Dwaraka nagar, the Rickshaawaala convinced me to stay in dolphin point. He took me through the ditches and kept on saying that vizag is a scenic place and asked me “isn’t It, beautiful?” . I closed my nostrils as tight as I could and shook my head symbolizing that “I agree”. After 15 minutes of ditchy travel , he took me to Madhava Residency .The room was good & comparatively cheap for Rs 295 / day .Took a quick bath. As the clock ticked 08:45, jingle bells rang from my stomache ,direly looking for a breakfast. I asked the room boy , as what would be served for the breakfast. He smiled and said “Sir, we don’t serve any food here”. I looked @ the roof for a while, rewinded what rickshaw waalaa narrated during his ditchy ride.”None of the hotels in Vizag , serve food as good as Madhava does”. The Room Boy interrupted me from the flashback and asked “Sir, Do you need a Bisleri Bottle?” Now ,its my turn to smile @ him. I thought that atleast outside ,I will be able to find good hotels ,but to my dismay, they weren’t for another 1 km .It took me a little time to understand that Rickshaw waalaa had thrown big Boulders on my little head mercilessly. I lost my Opening Wicket of food in the very first ball of the Vizag Game. In jagadaamba Point ,I came across “Hotel Sabari” . The tidyness of the hotel forced me ,as I entered without digging too much on the quality of the Hotel. Aroma of the Saambar Vada and Adhitya hrudayam over the speakers reduced my Friction –Coefficiency that I had over the Rickshaw waala. Kick started my trip towards RK Beach in a bus .The ride finally ended when I Could see hue blue and sea waves’s roar . I saw a bus driver relaxing @ the beach. I introduced myself and asked him the proximity of the Places, I intended to see and the ideal view time. Upon hearing from him i decided for a sea cruising , first. There was a luxurious APTDC bus waiting in the road .It looked stylish as that of the ramoji film city bus with upper deck .It had a funny clock inside. The departure time pasted over the bus showed that it would start by 11:00. i took the left side entrance seat to view the seashore in a big Screen..When the clock ticked 11:05, few Foreigners sitting behind me got down of the bus and asked the bus driver as why bus didn’t start and showed their clock indicating the bus was late by 5 minutes ..Their question triggered laughter in us. (I guess that should be their first ever visit to India).The driver looked at them as if they had asked a silly question and continued smoking. Irritated foreigners decided to boycott the bus ride. The driver got panic , dropped the cigarette & pleaded them to get inside. He muttered in his smoky mouth before lifting the gear lever.(I guess it’s a bad word in Telugu).The ride was for 10 minutes, after which we entered harbour, consequently into a boat. Two took the sternum portion. The hot sun’s rays hitting the sea transformed sea into golden hue colour. Horn noise of cars got retarded , while uproar of sea waves enchanted everywhere. I could see a raft @ a mile distance .There was a couple who were little enjoying the nature , but were aggressive in their romance. The guy told me to take a snap of them in a way that they will regain their youth even in their eighties ,upon seeing it . I did do that ! Instead of saying a thanx, he irritated me by saying “Did you come Alone to Vizag?”.My happy waves reached the Doldrums .It was almost 12:30 .My next plan was to Museum ,which was 2 Kms from R.K.Beach ...but to my dismay, it was closed and the Message Board over there said that ,it would be opened by 14:00 Hrs. I was not knowing ,how to pass the remaining 1.5 Hrs. A lady was selling Chilled Coconut water ,right opposite to Museum. I roasted huge groundnuts with her for next 1.5 hrs ,spoiling her business by atleast 15%..Coming Back to Museum , the big black Submarine never boosted my excitement @ any point of time..i was frequently yawning ,when the narrator described me the achievements of the sub-marine ..Even photos taken inside sub-marine turned out to be a bad one with lots of wires and electronic devices .Took rest in the nearby park for 30 minutes..Felt better as I released partial tiredness acquired from the Train Journey. Now it was 16:30 ..i started heading towards Kailasagiri ,the one that was too much narrated in the cyber world .The Bus strode on Hair Pin bends. As an alternate option , it had a Tram Service too Operated (up & down service).The entrance arch is Artististic. Do Stop there to enjoy its Marvel .. Apart from that , Shiv Statue was very nice .With Lights turned on ,it seemed even more gorgeous.. The idol of Lord Shiva stands tall at a height of 40 ft. The floral clock one of the biggest in India is in the entrance with a diameter of 10 ft. The floral clock gives an artistic impression on the lush green patches on the backdrop of the Shiva Parvathi statue. It stands as a land mark and attracting huge crowds..It was good that I was there on the hillock for dusk .I took a train ride , that had luxurious seats ,reddish Paintings & more Surprisingly a TTE ,who was not all required .As the train started ,Bommarilu Songs were played ..The Train’s Pace never crossed 10KMPH. Viewing Vizag @ a height of 200 meters from the Sea level was indeed marvellous atleast for one half of the Train ride.The other half of was pretty dry.I met a newly married kannadiga Couple. The “He” in that requested me to take a snap of them .His wife was sizzling @ him for he had put his hands tightly over her shoulders. He was in a hurry and told that he was leaving to Arakku .While Leaving, he asked me in Kannada “Neevu Obbare bandira ?“. I came back to Jagadmba , had dinner..The Day ended, with few good shots and ,but with wide coverage of Places.

The Next day morning, I started very early to Simhachalam ..My body unable to bear the cold, signaled my mouth to rattle. It was 45 minutes of travel and the journey was not yet over .The temple is in a hillock of 250 meters and it took an addl 15 minutes over an another bus. I got inspired about “Simhachalam” after seeing the “yamadonga” Movie. The temple is amidst a greenery .The Pulihora Prasad was better .The courtyards were not constructed in a well planned manner, but I could spend a gracious hour in the Auspicious Place. While returning, I used Stairs. I could see a creature almost in the form of a butterfly all the way down the stairs. Nice stains of colours on its wings. I could cover some good Scenic landscape shots too .Evening , I started towards RushiKonda Beach .This was more Scenic when compared to RK Beach. While the Former was for Masses , this was for Classes. Depth was too less and any one can try swimming in the beaches .Smart Small Kids started jumping over the waves , as if like jumping on a swimming pool .I was totally confused as what to do ? ---Whether to enjoy the scenic beauty of the Beach ? (or ) to record the beauty in my camera? Then ,I started doing both parallely .Took few risky shots amidst the crabs on a slippery rock. Few Tamilians helped me in getting shots ..They didn’t ask me , what I expected could spill out of their mouth. I left the beach with a heavy heart after spending 3.5 Hrs . I should have spent addl 2 hrs. I then left for Bheemli Beach .It resembled like Besant Nagar beach …Going to Bheemli after seeing rushikonda ,is like getting drenched in ditch after having a good shower bath. I wasted an hour in the transit time. Got a new Camera Pouch for the Upcoming adventurous Arakku trip.

Next day Morning, I got up early …Put my travel bag into cloak room ..i had just Rs 400 in my hand along with a SBI ATM card. Someone told me that there is a SBI ATM available in Arakku . My Plan was to have fun , the entire day in Borra caves & the surrounding premises and spend the night in Arakku in an inexpensive lodge and return back to Vizag , the next immediate evening..I stood by the front door of the train (vizag –kirandul Passenger) ,waiting eagerly for tunnels .First Tunnel came after 2 hrs , when whistles encroached the nook and corners of the train ..One Tirunelveli guy praised the English people saying “ vellakaaran mooleye moola thaan.” The sudden Coolness from the vents of the tunnel , made him utter those words..Ladies and kids rushed towards the door ,with whistles fuelling their enthusiasm. And so , I happened to manage my spectations by sitting in the footsteps ,of course along with fear .I didn’t feel the loneliness , which I had for the past 2 days..Simple, whistles lit up my spirit .I too became a child after 20 years .When the train bended in the curves ,it seemed more sexier than the hip of the most sexiest lady ,I have ever seen .The dew made mountains partially transparent . Finally the 44th tunnel ended in the Bora caves .It was 10:45 , when I felt that , I am stepping out of the earthly heaven ..Many people got down @ Bora ..Seemed like many people had similar plans as that of me ..School children were plenty among them ..i walked from Bora railway station to Bora caves. The path was 1.5 Kms Long and was full of Ups and down. Had if had , I taken a car , I wouldn’t have relished the road swing much !I entered the borra caves , keeping in mind the resentment of Jaggu(jagadish) on the blurred snaps of the caves ..The cave was dark and needed long shutter Lags ..i set my camera to night mode , making use of the rocks available over there as Tripods…I was accompanied by final year college students who maintained a lively Momentum ,inside the mysterious caves. The more deeper I went inside , more rapidly my heart started beating .The rate @ which my panic increased was thrice the distance that I travelled deeper into caves .The spots had resemblance of Guru-Sishyan Climax. Inside the caves was a small Shiv temple. One could reach there with the help of rugged steepy steps. Most of them felt swooning while climbing to and getting down and I was no exception. Those College guys and girls cruised well ahead before me. 3 Years before , I would be like them ,but now I became a Sabertooth tiger. Goswani river was flowing below Borra caves. The location, reminded me of a Scene that I have seen in a hindi Magical film. Outside the cave , in a hut was an Oriyan family where I had the lunch for Rs25.Except pappu ,nothing else was good but going by the theory of relativity ,it tasted better than the vizag hotels. Next , I joined 2 professional photographers to hire a jeep to Cutki waterfalls .There was no well laid road, but jeep rode well over mud and clay. People who came in their own Car ,were not allowed to take their car ,as the path to Cutki demanded a 4 wheel power driven vehicle like a jeep. If still someone would want to try for a car trip , they will end-up kicking their own buckets!.The jeep finally halted on a deserted area ,which was 8 Kms away from Waterfalls. The sad part is that driver told us to walk for 2 more kms ,to see the water falls. Having told , he shouldered the responsibility to a young boy who guided us with a deep silence .After a Km walk , we were able to see Cuttki in a pure white form .The Synonym of whiteness , Purity , silence , greeneries , fresh Air is what Cutki explains! We 3 started hill trekking .Full of Mud , I took my slippers in hand & started trekking .A slip @ any point of the trek would have blown out my camera into pieces ,me succumbing bruises over the body. We reached the top after 35 minutes of walk. We were already 3000 feet standing from the sea level! The water was very tasty and cold. The professional photographer was trying to take a mug of water ,but couldn’t .The water was 10 times chiller than the cooler waves emanating from the ice rocks. Know not where it originates , but merges into Goswani river . I sat over a Rock , inhaled the air in the best deepest way possible .After Holding it for a while and releasing it , felt the rejuvenated blood ,replenishing my whole body ,especially my eyes turning cool like a Ice Mint .The “moogil kadugale “ song from samurai will fit the bill perfectly! I would love to have a small hut over there ,instead of getting a Crore valed land in shamshadabad! But the sad part is that there was no single word about Cutki in the cyber world!A fter an hour I left the place with my 2 professional photographers .(The photos they took were rocking!)Unable to bear the chillness they took with them 5 bottles of red-beer from the village people ,over there. Now, I had just Rs 90 left over with me and I got into a bus to arakku . All long the journey , the cutki came through my thoughts like a dancing damsel and went disappeared .It was an hour journey and the bus travelled in hair pins bends! Soon I reached Arakku , mobile faded without signals .Someone alerted me already on this..I asked a person for an ATM. He asked me “what’s that ?” .I thought he should be ignorant about that. Just asked the same question to other guy who seemed to be a urban ,but was a native of arakku! He told me that , he has never seen in Arakku ,although conveyed his eagerness to know how it would resemble like .Now , panic engulfed me .Luckily , I could see a medical shop and asked him for an ATM. “Sir, You need to travel 45 kms to SKota for an ATM. Arakku will come up with an ATM FACILITY SHORTLY .” With 900 kms away from Hyderabad, who will ever come to rescue me in Arakku , with the trifle amount I had! Suddenly that Rs 90 turned Precious, life turned mysterious , Arakku turned hell .. i asked him when is the last bus to Skota . He pointed his fingers towards a bus that came full . I was core hungry ,but the trifle amount in my pocket and that last bus to Skota prevented me from taking a dinner! I got into the bus using all my energy, I had had from cutki , although I was bit hungry. The bus was occupied with full of baskets , Hens ,cocks , fruits .Hardly were there any place for Bus conductor to walk . The ride was for 2.5 hrs and I took vomit twice . I don’t think vomiting is contagious , but a girl took soon ! (I am not responsible for that ,anyways) . @ 21:30 , when I landed @ Skota Bus stop , I was told about the directions for SBI ATM , the one and only ATM in that location . Went all the way ….Thanx that it didn’t throw any error “ This ATM is temporarily out of sevice”.. Now,I thought for a while ,what if the ATM had run out of service…Simple , I would have been forced to drop –out my arakku trip and return back to Vizag , with the remaining 45 rupees I had with me! Since that was Friday night , the lodges were full and I could get a small ugly isolated room for Rs 70. Some strange sounds were coming from the backside of the room. I didn’t bother too much on that and took a Cake and banana ,all that I could get in that place on that Friday night .I slept half starving .…Oliver twist should have slept daily like this!

The next day morning I caught the first bus to Arakku . When I was wondering how to spend the 2.5 Hrs of hair pin bended Journey ,,,there came a drunkard guy and his brother for entertaining my co-travellers in the bus . The journey path didn’t have rich bio-diversification ,but the glimpse of hills and valleys did passed my time . Reached Arakku again . The Terrific night was over! I went to Chaapparai (Soft Rocks) .We have bus services at odd intervals .Since I was in Arakku @ odd time , odd * odd turned out to be even .The people in the bus saw with a wide eye ,the Compact camera with me .The tribal people of Arakku were dressed like any other Tribal People. Finally I reached Chapparai (Around 15 Kms from Arakku) by 12:30. One could see lots of shoulder skating over the softer rocks .The January season had scanty brownish water ,but still I decided to have a shower bath in that . I departed after spending a couple of hours over there, but couldn’t get a bus for a return trip . Lots of jeeps were passing through that route but none of them had a seating option . Almost , all the jeeps that came through had 15 people sitting, tightly packed and 6 people standing on the sides of jeep. One jeep offered me standing . Initially it was nice ,but as the Lorries passed sideways, I turned Cold and unable to bear the furious lorries approaching me sideways I shouted loud with Lorry horns increasing my Shreakness . The driver halted the jeep and asked me to come by bus. I promised him that I won’t shout again. Seeing my plethora , he changed me towards the Leeward side . Now , he stopped finally @ a hotel near Railway station . That hotel ‘s daal tasted best among the food I had had on those 4 days of trip. The Rly station of arakku was flooded with people who were eagerly waiting for the vizag train! The celebration started as the Tunnels arrived. It was yet another Bonanza ! Happened to meet kolkatta people and a gentleman in my compartment. It was almost night 21:00 hrs when I reached Vizag back . I could notice that train travels 1 hour late in the return journey to Vizag to avoid the slip of carriages due to slanting slope!


On the fifth and final day Morning I went to kaali temple which is opposite to RK Beach,. Had plans of going to HUDA park but dropped out and went to OkkaMaagadu! Had a nice entertainment for 3 Hrs in that crowded matinee . I left to vizag Rly station by 18:00 Hrs. I don’t want to try the pantry food , so got a parcel @ Railway station in that posh hotel.(couldn’t remember the name) . A child of 2 months which came in the forma of my Co-Passenger cried the whole night and my night sleep came to an end! The next day Morning train was late by 4 Hrs (After noon 12:30) and as a result , I had to be in Office without a shower bath !Thanx to My colleagues who could tolerated the stinct! Memories of Vizag Still runs like a perenniel river in my mind!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome,,
The way you expressed your experience was really good....

while reading this blog,,,,
i felt that i was travelling along with you till the end...SUPERB